True portable mode

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:03 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2016 at 2:45 PM
Some time ago in the description of the software it stated it was portable, after some testing I found out it was writing settings to the default user profile directory, so I mentioned it here and it got removed because it wasn't really supported at the time.

Are you considering making ScreenToGIF a truly portable application, one that stores settings in some ini file in the application folder instead of the user appdata folder? That would definitely be great!

Perhaps a portable mode that would detect the existence of the ini file in the application folder where the EXE resides, and if not present just behave normally as it currently does and write settings to the default location.

Cache and working files can (and probably should) remain where they currently are for obvious performance concerns, since reading/writing a large cache of files to a thumbdrive or external drive could potentially be unpractically slow.

One second smaller request, a "capture single frame mode" right next to the record button in the capture window that would just capture a single frame

Anyway keep up the great work, ScreentToGIF is probably the best GIF capture tool around.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Hi duarteframos,

Yes, I'm planning to make possible to have a true portable mode, the only change will be using a .xaml file instead of a .ini. (it will be easier to work with that)

I already made possible to change the default location of the cache files (it defaults to the same location, but now you can change it :D) to another drive, for example.

There's already a "capture single frame mode", it's hidden on a right click of the record button, you just need to enable it. (I need to find a better place to show that mode).

Thank you for the feedback. :D
Jul 19, 2016 at 3:25 PM
That is great news portable mode will be very useful, XAML should do just fine.

I'll have to check on that Capture single frame feature then never noticed it before, that is awesome.
Anyway, thanks for the reply, and keep up the great work
Aug 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM
I made a mistake, I meant to say save the XAML to the application folder for true portable mode (where ScreenToGif.exe resides) not the user appdata folder.
Just commenting because I noticed I made a mistake wrote something else. Fixed the post above.

Anyway thanks for the new release, can't wait to play with the new features!