PowerPoint Slide show recording error

May 30, 2014 at 9:01 PM
I am trying to record part of a PowerPoint slide show (animations on a slide).

When trying to stop the recording, I get the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Something to do with the PowerPoint slide show's fullscreen mode maybe? Is there a workaround or fix?

I am using Windows 8.1, desktop mode, Office 2013 and version 0.9 of screentogif.

Many thanks, again, for the great program, by the way :-)
Coordinator
May 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Hi, plagwitz

Download the latest release (1.0). Try out to see if the same happens.
May 31, 2014 at 2:25 AM
thanks for your quick response.

same happens with version 1.0 (dialogue title: "nullreference").

same when I, in the PowerPoint settings, disable hardware acceleration and use the primary monitor to display the show and disable the presenter view (just trying different things).

if there is any other diagnostic info I can provide, please let me know.
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Hi plagwitz, sorry for being late, I'm busy with a Paper.

Can you help me solving this bug?

Download this https://www.codeplex.com/Download/AttachmentDownload.ashx?ProjectName=screentogif&WorkItemId=7&FileAttachmentId=862320

Test the legacy version and tell me the number that the error will return.

EDIT:

Test this one:

https://www.codeplex.com/Download/AttachmentDownload.ashx?ProjectName=screentogif&WorkItemId=7&FileAttachmentId=863304
Jul 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM
hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The error for the 1st verion above was 7.

However, it seems you figured it out without me, with the 2nd version you posted here.

Details see here: http://thomasplagwitz.com/2014/07/03/screentogif-debugging-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object-7/

Have not tested it with the new text overlay yet, but looking forward to using this feature.

Also, curious what you are using for your logging.

I have been trying to get users to send me back the Enterprise Library log files I generate, but maybe that is intimidating? http://thomasplagwitz.com/2014/07/03/enterprise-library-logging-sample/

Great program, thanks again!
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Hi plagwitz,

1)
However, it seems you figured it out without me, with the 2nd version you posted here.
• Another user stepped in the same error, it was a silly one, to record with the cursor image, I need to do some P/Invokes and sometimes there is no cursor being shown, so a nullException happened.

2)
seems to hang on pressing “Done” with “Analizing [sic] Unchanged Pixels”
• Alright, "Analyzing" :)
• This process seek for changes between pixels, to reduce the palette of colors, so (300 * (1073 * 810)) = A LOT PIXELS It's my priority to change this process, I already have some ideas. (Parallel processing)

3)
crashes on pressing window close:
• Some unnecessary calls in the Form_Closing event.

4)
Also, curious what you are using for your logging.
• I'm using a simple writer, nothing fancy. I'm about to switch to my H-Logger. Later, I'll finish the "bug sender" where the user can select what to send, like log files, comments or screenshots of the error. More like the "Send a Smile/Frown" of the VS 2013.

5)
but maybe that is intimidating?
• Users fear what they don't understand, if they see a lot of chars in a plain text, they may think we are stealing data. I didn't knew about the Enterprise Library logger, I'll look into. :)

6)
Here is a new pre-release for the 1.1

7)
Thanks for your feedback, Always nice to have. :D
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Oh, and there are 2 new feature hidden in the Right click of the Record button. ;)
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Edited Jul 4, 2014 at 1:48 AM
I have done a couple of basic GIFs from PowerPoint with the previous vesion, and they came out fine.

Now I see you added Fullscreen and Snap modes, that adds quite some flexibility, going to try it out .

You seem to be on a roll! :-) Thanks for the update, and good point about the logging!
Marked as answer by NickeManarin on 7/11/2014 at 5:42 AM