Feature Requests (Video compression, image sequences, playback hotkey)

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:35 AM
Hi, thanks for this awesome little software! I just left you a review. Had some feedback in it that I removed to place here.

I'm sure you have no shortage of feature requests and to-do items, but here are some of mine:
  1. I echo one of the reviewers' comment about having a video compression option. H.264 would be great.
  2. Possibility to have the images saved out to a sequence (e.g. PNGs). I tried to import the .bmp files in the "Temp" folder, but both Photoshop and After Effects give errors.
  3. Conversely, though not as essential for me, it'd be useful to be able to import image sequences into ScreenToGif itself.
  4. Would it be difficult to change the default playback hotkey to be the spacebar instead of [Alt]+[p]? I notice the spacebar activates the last command by default, but I'm used to (as many are) pressing it for playback across multiple softwares.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2016 at 1:38 PM
Hi, thanks for the feedback :D

1,2,3 are on my list, for sure.

(for the 2nd one, Photoshop and After Effects are probably complaining about the location of the images, have you tried to copying the frames to your desktop?)

4 is a new request (and easy one too), I can add multiple keyboard commands inputs to the same action (I just need to make sure to use a unique combination, to avoid conflicts).
Apr 12, 2016 at 1:41 AM
Awesome, some exciting things ahead for ScreenToGif!

As for the .bmp image import from the temporary folder, I tried moving it to a directory on a desktop, but still received the same errors. Something about not being able to parse the files.

Image Image

Then, upon further research, I tried changing the .bmp extension manually to .png, and, lo and behold, they now open.
Perhaps the images being saved to wrong extensions or something..?
Apr 12, 2016 at 8:01 PM
Oh, and another feature request if I may. How about a "source folder" option when setting default output directory?
Coordinator
Apr 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM
Oh, that's right. I forgot to change the name of the file to *.png. :O

About the another feature request, what kind of "source folder"? Can you explain a little more?
Apr 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2016 at 9:06 AM
Haha, nice, we figured out a problem!

And, wow, I just realized I didn't think the "source folder" one through, haha. I guess I meant more "remember last location".
"Source folder" I guess if you implement the importing sequences function and the user can save to the source directory of the import files.
Sorry about the confusion.

On the continued note of feature requests, I have yet another, haha. This one is a lot more involved.. though I have a feeling a version of this is on your to-do.

Last night, I recorded this:

As you can see, I had to manually move the capture window to show different things. Not a hassle, but a "follow mouse" feature would be definitely useful in these kinds of cases.

Of course, it shouldn't happen all the time, but maybe a "follow mouse" button/checkbox (with perhaps a customizable padding between mouse and window edge distance, or even an option to always center mouse).

Or perhaps a (customizable) hotkey to toggle "follow mouse" while recording?
Maybe window snaps to mouse location then back to original location when letting go of hotkey. Or even follows mouse for the duration of the key press then window stays at the location key is let go of.
Apr 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Ah, sorry, but I must.. another feature request: Insert color-filled frame. Maybe with opacity control.

I'd like to be able to insert a black or white frame at the end of the animation to make a visual cue that the animation is starting over. But it could also be useful to insert in to notate cuts, or maybe flashing effects or something, haha.

I could paint one with the pen tool but a quick color frame insert option would be useful.
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2016 at 8:16 PM
Nice xD

Oh, you did mean a default Export Folder?. For example, if you export to some other program so often, you can export automatically without the need to choose the folder everytime, saving time...

Exactly, the Follow the cursor feature (as an option) is on my ToDo list. ;)
I'll need to rule to make possible to reach the Stop button before the window starts to move. hehe
color-filled frame
You already can do that, It's called Title Frame, under the Image tab.
Apr 14, 2016 at 10:40 PM
Oh, you did mean a default Export Folder?. For example, if you export to some other program so often, you can export automatically without the need to choose the folder everytime, saving time...
I think so. I know there's a way to set a default output folder, but when that's not checked, something more dynamic would be nice.
For instance, every time the window to select the directory to save to pops up, it remembers the last directory it was at.

Exactly, the Follow the cursor feature (as an option) is on my ToDo list. ;)
I'll need to rule to make possible to reach the Stop button before the window starts to move. hehe
Haha, awesome. Yeah, maybe a (customizable) "stop" hotkey, or a "toggle follow mouse" hotkey. Mouse shake? Maybe even another movable small window with just a Record/Pause/Stop button?

You already can do that, It's called Title Frame, under the Image tab.
Ah, so you can! I guess I should've explored more before requesting that one, haha.

And here's more of a feature idea than a request. It's not something I've seen in a screen capture program, but it could be useful.

What if you could have multiple capture windows at once? Say you want to record different parts of the screen but don't want to record the whole screen, this could be useful. And one of them could be a "follow mouse".
Though I'd imagine this might be a headache to figure out logistics in implementation and especially the compositing aspect, but maybe worth considering, haha.