Baffled by option to Select Transparent Color

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:23 AM
Apparently, I don't know how to select an appropriate color.

With the default green, my green cursor became transparent. So I switched the color to orange, which isn't anywhere on the screen I'm recording. The preview looked fine. But when I viewed the fully-processed GIF (after Done), there were large rectangles of orange on nearly every frame. The result was unusable, of course.

I tried 3 or 4 other colors and got the same kind of effect. The screen I'm recording only has 20 or 30 different colors, so I thought it would be easy to avoid a match.

What is the rule of thumb for picking the transparent color? And how can I reset to the default green, which gave me the best result so far? ( even with the cursor problem ).

BTW, the show mouse clicks option doesn't work. And I've tried quality settings between 4 and 19, with no change. What does the quality setting number correspond to?

Thanks for any help. (I'm running Win7 on an i5 chip set)
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Hi Contour,

Wrong Color:
With your help, I found the little bug that spoiled your gifs.
The algorithm that scans the pixels uses RGB (Red - Green - Blue) and the algorithm that scans the ColorTable uses BGR (Blue - Green - Red).

So, for the color LimeGreen (50, 205, 50) the algorithm works well. It also works with Magenta (255, 0, 255)... Because the Red and Blue values are the same.

Mouse Clicks:
This is a bug that I already fixed for the next release. It happens because of the pre start countdown.

Quality Settings:
It means color fidelity, a gif only supports 256 colors, so the quantization algorithm needs to convert the image to 256 colors before saving to a file.

Good night, Nicke.
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2015 at 9:26 PM
I'm curently working with that RGB-BGR error. In the mean time, use colors that have the same Red-Blue values.
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2015 at 2:04 AM
Done, download my new release (1.4.1).
Feb 1, 2015 at 5:01 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I've tried 1.4.1 and still experienced a couple of problems. Using orange worked for about the first 80% of a 550-frame GIF ... but then most of my screen turned orange for the last 20%. So, I switched to magenta (255, 0, 255) and everything worked ... EXCEPT that spurious text cursors showed up ... some in gray, some in magenta ... and the screen I'm capturing doesn't use text cursors (the vertical bar) at all. It sounds like there may still a RGB-BGR swap somewhere. I can send a small example of the text cursors, if needed.
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2015 at 7:24 AM
Edited Feb 1, 2015 at 7:25 AM
Hi Contour, I moved this thread to the Issues tab.
We can send files to each other there.

https://screentogif.codeplex.com/workitem/26/