How to submit changes with least effort?

Developer
Jul 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Presently for any changes, I create a new fork, then clone it locally on my machine, make changes to it locally, commit it to the fork and then create a pull request.

However I do not know how to merge changes from root to my fork. Hence everytime there is a change in root, I delete my fork, create a new one, clone the fork locally and follow the old steps.

Am I missing something here? Is there an easier way to generate pull requests while working on ROOT?
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM
Edited Jul 20, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Download the VS Git plugin. I'm also new with Git.
Oh, and please, make your commit to your fork, later you can submit to the master with a pull request.

Badrfoot may know a few tricks.
Developer
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM
@freaksterrao, First of all I would say Hi and welcome in ScreenToGif Community, glade to see you with us ;).....
I do not know how to merge changes from root to my fork.
to merge the root (or the upstream in Git language) with your local repository and with your remote fork you should create a link to the principal repository of the project for our case : https://git01.codeplex.com/screentogif

To create a remote upstream, type the following command but you should pointing in your directory project using git command :
 git remote add upstream https://git01.codeplex.com/screentogif
If you want to merge the root (upstream) changes with your local repository type this command (Remember you should pointing in your directory project ) :
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/master
...and to update your fork in codeplex :
git push origin
...the git program will demand your username/password to access your fork , that's all, you can check your fork for the new update.

However I highly recommend to use branches (the default branch is "Master") for every features and delete it after pull the related request, so the master branch will always be intact ....for more details you can check this mini tutorial about this concept, it has helped me a lot to understand this feature.

Good "Giting" :D
Marked as answer by freaksterrao on 7/23/2014 at 6:13 PM
Developer
Jul 24, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Hi Badrfoot,

After posting the question and explored CodePlex Source Control some more and saw that it supports branching. As you mentioned, branches are easier as I can down merge, up merge and create a pull request without using command line. (I use TFS at work so I am not a command line person :)).

Thanks for the tips.
Ganesh
Developer
Jul 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM
You're welcome.......