Ideas for the next version

May 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Hello - this is a wonderful program - I made my review for you!

I have a few ideas here (these are ideas, not complaints):
  • I made a gif of about 300 frames that ended up to be about 1 mb. That's reasonable, but if you provide an option to sacrifice colour range, you can achieve a sort of compression and get smaller file sizes. I know you can set the Quality in the app settings, but this option I am suggesting should be available in the menu of the editing mode after you've stopped recording. Sometimes, after I've recorded the gif I realize that I can scrunch the colours.
  • In the toolbar at the bottom, I would like back and forward buttons for my mouse to navigate frames.
  • Since the program can obviously edit a gif file, it would be nice if I could drag a saved gif onto the app window and use the editing capabilities on the saved version. I'm not looking for a full-fledged editor to be integrated into this recorder - I just want to say, remove a frame or two from a gif that I just created and saved using the same program.
  • In the post-recording Options, there should be an option for "duplicate frame".
  • Option for customizing the default for "Quick Caption".
  • Also, if you turn on "Show Grid" and make the window large enough to see the grid behind the gif, you can see that the background of the slider is a teeny bit above the bottom toolbar, and the backgrounds of the toolbar and the slider do not touch - which reveals the grid behind. I think the backgrounds should touch - it would make it look nicer.
  • If after recording the gif, and then making edits, I push "Cancel" - there should be a warning dialogue to warn the user his edits will be lost. Also, if I cancel out of the save dialogue, I lose the recording entirely - there should be a warning about that, too - or else, it should go back to the post-recording state and allow the user to edit the gif or save it. Right now (version 1.0) it just starts completely over.
Thanks for reading my poor ideas!
Coordinator
May 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Edited May 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Hi BGM!

Thanks for you review :D

• The "Gif Options" button will be enabled so you can edit the quality while editing the frames.
• Nice, I would like to put arrows in each side of the frame so when you hover your mouse in the sides, na arrow appear.
• This feature is already done, it will be available with Release 1.1.
• Ok, You can do this now using a not so good way: Export the frame and import the image.
• Something like a "Last used" that always display the last one used? (That already happens but only in the same session, after you close and open the program, the text resets)
• Alright, I'll add a panel to merge those two.
• Ok, I'll think of something to warn users about that.
Developer
May 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Hi BGM!

Thank you for your interesting comment, we will see how we can implement your ideas in the application soon, and as you're following the project you will be informed about improvements.

thank you again!
May 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Mr. Manarin,

Wow - that was a quick response! Thanks for considering my ideas. I know how it goes when you are programming, so please don't consider anything as a "demand" - time is precious and you yourselves know what the project is worth to you (especially since I am not able to donate anything except ideas and perhaps, enthusiasm). God bless you.

On 5/6/2014 12:43 PM, NickeManarin wrote:

Hi BGM!

Thanks for you review :D

• The "Gif Options" button will be enabled so you can edit the quality while editing the frames.
• Nice, I would like to put arrows in each side of the frame so when you hove your mouse in the sides, na arrow appear.
• This feature is already done, it will be available with Release 1.1.
• Ok, You can do this now using a not so good way: Export the frame and import the image.
• Something like a "Last used" that always display the last one used? (That already happens but only in the same session, after you close and open the program, the text resets)
• Alright, I'll add a panel to merge those two.
• Ok, I'll think of something to warn users about that.

Developer
May 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Hi Manarin

I found a good API for image manipulation : ImageProcessor, and it's for .NET as well, so If you mind why don't include this library in the ScreenToGif project, why not? if it brings more flexibility and more simplicity .....

In the other hand, I see that [modern.cs] form has the same functionality and same code as a legacy (that's evident coz both bring same features just they look like different).....so, I wonder why you didn't use the inheritance, maybe Modern form inherits from Legacy and after you can customize it, or you can externalize all functionalities to their proper classes as libraries, and call them from both Legacy and Modern form,

the main reason why I said that, it's to make the project more maintainable and more simple to code, ¯(°_o)/¯
Coordinator
May 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM
The gif enconding process of that API is the same as the .net Encoding that I got from the Bumpkit, we can use the other part of the code in later releases.

I did some merging test between the Legacy and Modern using a user control, as you can see in the Internal.cs, I'll make some more tests.
Developer
May 27, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Ok..... that's great...

Good coding......